Arbroath Victoria Football Club

Arbroath Victoria

by Super Admin 4591 Views 0

Match Report Lochore Welfare 1 Arbroath Vics 3 - 19 Aug 2017 Arbroath Vics made the trip back over the Tay for the second time in a fortnight, this time to meet Lochore Welfare in a North Divison fixture on Saturday. It was a much depleted squad that made the journey however with several players unavailable, which opened the door for Matt Keogh, Kellon Lyons and Craig Watson to claim starting spots. Playing against a strong wind, Vics created the first opening in the fourth minute when Matt Keogh sent a good ball up the right for Josh Chalmers, but his cross nicked the outside of the post and landed in the side net. Matt Keogh then found his name in the referee's book when he impeded Ben Rolland as he tried to break forward over the half-way line. Vics were next to have a go and it required a good save from goalkeeper Gary Inglis to prevent them from taking the lead. Rikki Gillespie sent Kellon Lyons away up the left and he checked inside before cutting into the box and letting off a shot, which the keeper did well to beat away with Scott Rowand turning the loose ball behind for a corner. From the flag-kick, Kellon Lyons threw himself forward in an attempt to get on the end of Rikki Gillespie's cross, but he could only get a slight touch and the ball ran wide. It should have been 1-0 to Vics in the 16th minute when Scott Donald released Rikki Gillespie, but he mis-controlled the ball as he entered the box and Gary Inglis was able to get down and save at his feet. The goal was only delayed for a further 60 seconds however. A good move up the left involving Scott Donald and Rikki Gillespie ended with the former swinging a cross to the far side of the box, which was retrieved by Josh Chalmers, and when he sent it back in towards the near post, BEN ROLLAND turned into his own net in attempting to clear. Gary Inglis was by far the busier keeper and he produced a top class save to keep Lochore in the game four minutes later. Craig Watson, Mark Fotheringham and Rikki Gillespie all linked up to pick out Josh Chalmers, who made space to get in a shot from 18 yards, which looked netbound until the keeper threw himself to his right to tip it round the post. It took the home side until the 30th minute to carve out a chance of note when Arron Wood swung a cross into the box from the right, which James Adam stuck out a leg to sweep wide. Two minutes later, Lochore were given a great chance to get back on level terms when they were awarded a penalty. There seemed little, if any contact, when James Adam went to ground inside the box, but despite that the referee pointed to the spot. Vics protested en-masse and Craig Watson was yellow carded before justice was done when Jack Whitton dived to beat away James Adam's kick. Scott McDowell then found his name in the referee's book in the aftermath, having said something out of turn to the Lochore number nine. Vics immediately hit back and extended their lead in the 36th minute. Kyle Findlater sent a pass through the Lochore defence, which saw CRAIG WATSON beat the offside trap and slip the ball beyond the advancing keeper as he tried to narrow the angle. Lochore had the last chance of the half just before the whistle when Scott Rowand and James Adam worked the ball forward to play in Joe Kinninmonth, but Jack Whitton save bravely at his feet to keep Vics two goal lead intact. Half-time: Lochore Welfare 0 Arbroath Vics 2 Ben Rolland had a great chance to make amends for his first half own goal within 60 seconds of the re-start when he was sent clear in the box by Aaron Wood, but he completely missed his kick and Vics managed to scramble it clear. At the other end, a high, long ball from his own half by Scott McDowell put Scott Rowand under pressure and the number four could only head it backwards into the path of Kellon Lyons who nodded it wide from around 15 yards. Gary Inglis pulled off another stunning save in Vics next attack, when he leapt across his line to push a net-bound effort from Kellon Lyons round the post. In the 51st minute, Lochore replaced Scott Small with Kearyn Hicks. The substitute didn't take long to make an impact as 10 minutes later, he hauled Lochore back into the match. Ben Rolland did the spade work on the left before crossing into the box for KEARYN HICKS to send a header beyond the reach of Jack Whitton. Lochore's tactic of high balls into the box, which hung up in the wind, almost paid off when Jack Whitton took a head knock when trying to punch clear inside a crowded area and fell to the ground. Despite the keeper lying flat out, the referee, surprisingly allowed play to continue, but he did eventually halt play some 30 seconds later as Vics repelled the Lochore efforts to get a shot on target. A corner kick which, Vics messed up allowed Arron Wood to send Kearyn Hicks through on goal, but Matt Keogh came across to sweep the ball away before he could get in a shot. Vics were then awarded a free-kick in a dangerous position for a handball offence, but Rikki Gillespie's shot cannoned back off the wall. As the game entrered the last 10 minutes, substitutions were made with Lochore replacing Todd Arthur with Adam Haddow, Vics sending on Paul Tosh for Craig Watson and then the home side taking off Dean Ewing for Lewis Thomson. Josh Chalmers almost sealed the points for Vics in the 87th minute when he got on the end of a Scott Donald cross, but his header drifted wide of the target, before Ben Rolland was booked for a foul on Mark Fotheringham. Lochore continued to hoist high balls into the box as they piled bodies forward as the match reached 90 minutes, but Jack Whitton comfortably plucked a Scott Warrender cross off the head of Scott Rowand before James Adam shot high over the bar from 18 yards. Three minutes into stoppage time, Vics sealed the points with a third goal from the penalty spot. Logan Donaldson was unable to deal with a long clearance from Jack Whitton and his header ran into the path of Paul Tosh who was pulled to the ground inside the box by Scott Warrender before he could shoot. RIKKI GILLESPIE stepped up to net the spot-kick to kill off Lochore's challenge. Vics turned in another good display to keep their unbeaten start to the season going and were well worth the win, playing some fine football along the way to claim the points. Teams: Lochore Welfare: 1 Gary Inglis 2 Todd Arthur (sub 16 Adam Haddow 78 mins) 3 Logan Donaldson 4 Scott Rowand 5 Scott Warrender 6 Dean Ewing (sub 14 Lewis Thomson 85 mins) 7 Aaron Wood 8 Scott Small (sub 12 Kearyn Hicks 51 mins) 9 James Adam 10 Joe Kinninmonth 11 Ben Rolland. Unused subs: 15 Ethan Anderson 17 Grant Henderson. Arbroath Vics: 1 Jack Whitton 2 Matt Keogh 3 Scott Donald 4 Barrie Gourlay 5 Scott McDowell 6 Mark Fotheringham 7 Josh Chalmers 8 Kyle Findlater 9 Craig Watson (sub 12 Paul Tosh 79 mins) 10 Kellon Lyons 11 Rikki Gillespie. Unused subs: 14 David Sturrock Gk Arran Lyall. Referee: Mr. J. Stewart (Buckhaven). Yellow cards: Lochore: Ben Rolland. Vics: Matt Keogh, Craig Watson, Scott McDowell. Red cards: None.